#1 2014-02-02 19:28:37

Senju

A few bugs

Heyya,

I just recently downloaded the app and so far I really like it. There're, however, a couple of bugs I encountered after a few minutes.

- Some websites aren't rendered correctly (some parts are cut off, images are missing or comments will not load: theverge.com)
- The app crashes from time to time, especially on 'heavier' sites with embedded videos or many images (happened a few times on this site: engadget.com/2013/10/29/ipad-air-review/)
- Drop-down menus aren't always working, only on some pages (it doesn't work here: hvv.de)

It could also be a tad faster and snappier overall. I found Safari to be faster in comparison..

Cheers

#2 2014-02-03 13:18:42

cstromme

Re: A few bugs

Hi Senju!

1. Noticed the comments on The Verge here now, I'll take a look at that this week. Can you email me a URL of a page that has parts cut off or where there are images missing?
2. Which device are you using? I have a feeling this might be related to the web-rendering engine using up too much memory, but I'll make sure to test the review here and see if there's something that can be done from AirWeb's end.
3. I'll test that page as well.

Unfortunately there's not much we can do to improve rendering speed. We are forced to use the web rendering engine that Apple provides, and the one Safari has access to have some components (javascript engine) that are significantly faster than the one they allow third parties to use. That being said there are good reasons for why they don't open up those components to third party apps (security related).

#3 2014-02-03 22:03:30

Senju

cstromme wrote:

Can you email me a URL of a page that has parts cut off or where there are images missing?

You should be able to see it on The Verge, directly on the homepage. If you scroll down a bit you will see images not loading:

http: //i62.tinypic.com/286wq2q.jpg

It's also happening on Google image search. Only the first few rows of images will load and the rest stays blank.

The other thing I mentioned is that if you go to a review, there is this navigation element on the left side of the screen, which is cut off and it also doesn't follow as you scroll down:

http: //i58.tinypic.com/2z6h5oj.jpg

(The images are somehow flipped, but I hope you can see it nonetheless.)

cstromme wrote:

2. Which device are you using? I have a feeling this might be related to the web-rendering engine using up too much memory, but I'll make sure to test the review here and see if there's something that can be done from AirWeb's end.

I'm using an iPad mini and an iPhone 5. The low memory of the iPad mini could indeed be related to it, but I never had this problem in Safari or Chrome, so I thought it's the app which is just crashing.

Last edited by Senju (2014-02-03 22:07:09)

#4 2014-02-04 15:13:15

cstromme

The 5 shouldn't have problems with the memory. Do you have a large history in the app? Can you try clearing that? Found a bug here that has been fixed for the 1.3.0 release related to large history.

The scrolling/loading bug seem to be the same one across all those pages. I'll make sure to look at it for the next release here.

#5 2014-02-04 17:14:00

Senju

Thanks for the effort, but I don't have a large history in the app, so that couldn't be the problem. There seems to be an issue with heavier sites with embedded videos and images, which take a bit longer to load and if you then start scrolling, the app crashes.

I just went to tagesschau.de, which is completely 'destroyed' in the app tongue. You should also take a look at it.

#6 2014-02-04 22:16:50

cstromme

Will do! smile

#7 2014-02-04 23:03:52

cstromme

Some good news, whatever caused the issues with images not loading in the previous release is already fixed in the upcoming 1.3.0 release. I could not get an iPhone 5 to crash on the tagesschau.de, going to try with an iPad Mini later this week.

Is your iPhone 5 jailbroken?

#8 2014-02-05 10:09:29

Senju

Good to hear!

I'm sorry I wasn't clear enough. What I meant was that the layout isn't correct. It's kind of messy and some elements are out of place. You will notice it if you scroll down.

#9 2014-02-05 10:56:40

cstromme

Just checked it out here and the problem seem to be that the site is hardcoding screen sizes when it detects an iOS device. It is in other words not expecting us to output to a 1280x720 or 1920x1080 screen and is therefor getting messed up. There isn't much we can do about that other than getting the site itself to fix it.

I added tagesschau.de to the list of sites where we pretend to be desktop Safari to, but for some reason you need to do a refresh after visiting the site (think they might be doing something else in addition to the user agent to see what device we're coming from) to get the right CSS file.

#10 2014-02-05 11:47:03

Senju

Why don't you always request the desktop view? Makes much more sense if you browse on the big screen with a mouse. Or at least put the option in there, like in Chrome.

#11 2014-02-05 13:44:47

cstromme

Because a lot of sites break when you try to access them as the desktop site in the webview class. As an obvious example many sites with video will try to serve you the flash player instead of a HTML version. Other sites again get really finicky when we emulate a mouse cursor with javascript.

#12 2014-02-05 19:29:46

Senju

I see the point with the flash videos, but why don't you at least offer the option to switch between desktop and mobile view? There could be a simple menu like there is in Chrome on iOS, which offers a checkbox with the option to "Request desktop view".

That would be a really great feature! smile

Last edited by Senju (2014-02-06 10:34:31)

Board footer