#1 2013-12-21 21:15:58

thamore

Identify browser as

Hi,

I am glad that I bought this application.

May you add an option to the application to identify browser as ?! so for example we can identify browsing from your application as Safari Desktop, Firefox or IE etc.. That will be so helpful for us users when browsing on the TV as to see the desktop version of the web sites.

Regards,

#2 2013-12-21 21:22:33

cstromme

Re: Identify browser as

Hi!

This was a feature we considered before the release of 1.0.0. As of right now the app identifies as the iPad, both on the iPhone and the iPad. This usually gives us a webpage that is both suited for a larger screen (identifying as the iPhone often gives us something not suitable for a TV screen) and it gives us touchable elements and video.

If we allowed the user to change from the iPad user-agent to something like desktop Safari a lot of sites would break. You'd get flash video in a lot of places for instance, and some sites really don't do well when they're expecting a desktop browser but are rendered through Apple's iOS webview.

The key here is to find the balance between allowing the users to do these changes while at the same time avoiding them changing it and forgetting about it and then being annoyed by sites that don't work properly in the app.

#3 2013-12-21 21:32:45

thamore

Hi,

Thanks for responding. It is not a bad idea to give this option to us the users with considering the default to be identified as the iPad. For example, I want to view desktop version of youtube, it would be nice to find that option in your program which can identify it as Safari desktop.

Regards,

#4 2013-12-21 21:42:21

cstromme

I agree with that. We'll consider it again for a future update.

#5 2013-12-21 21:54:59

thamore

Hi,

Thanks for considering that and appreciate it, best of luck smile

Regards,

#6 2014-04-05 15:28:19

Ralph

I would like to give my support to his request. In some cases I would prefer to display the mobile version of a website rather than the tablet or desktop version. The mobile version often has only one column of text so the text stretches across the screen by default and you can only navigate up and down, not left and right. Tablet and desktop versions often have multiple frames, so you need to manually zoom in, but then scrolling often takes you not just up and down, but also slightly left and right.

#7 2014-04-07 07:48:55

cstromme

This is definitely something we'll be adding, but again it's something that we need to be careful about implementing. A lot of room for people ruining the experience instead of making it better.

Board footer